Sunday, September 2, 2007

What we can learn from the '83 Sixers

Okay ask anybody who knows me. If someone asks me what my favorite movie is, I will say, "Heat". (It's not really my favorite movie, but it gets a fierce debate going. People start attacking Al Pacino's overacting and stuff - it's quite funny).

Ask me what the best album of all time was, and I will quickly assert "Songs in the Key of Life", and silence debate immediately. You can't argue with Stevie in the 70's.

Ask me what the best sports team of all time was, and I will scream emphatically, "the 1983 76'ers".

First off, c'mon. Here are just a few of the greats on that team. Mo Cheeks. Mo Malone. The "Secretary of Defense" Bobby Jones (I had the poster where he was dressed up in a suit, with high top sneakers on - classic). "Instant Offense", Andrew Toney, Mark Iavaroni...the list goes on and on. Oh, and there was one other guy of note as well. A pretty good player named Julius Erving.

I am getting to a point believe it or not.

I want my team at West Cary Group to be like the Old 76ers. That's what I aspire to. Here's why.

  1. They weren't afraid to do the less glamorous work. The 76'ers would shut you down on defense. DEFENSE. Remember when people played defense? WCG will shut other shops down in the direct marketing arena - a corollary to defense in marketing and advertising. Often overlooked, but it can win for you.
  2. The 76ers had a swagger. Not cockiness, but confidence that when you're playing your game, and doing things your way, no one can compete. WCG competes against bigger agencies all the time. We hold our own because we're damn good.
  3. The 76'ers surprised and delighted spectacularly. Dr. J. at any moment, could get you out of your seat with something you've never seen before and will probably never see again. We strive to do the same thing at WCG - when we present, you will walk away shaking your heads going, "you know...they might not be quite right in the head, but they're damn good. They made us think, they made us uncomfortable, and they're going to make us successful."

Oh yeah. You can't discount that both of us have hall of famers named Moses on our teams. :)

No comments: